Monday, January 4, 2016

Hello 2016!

It's 2016?!? We're more than halfway through the 2010s!

A look back on 2015, and patterns of the new and the old emerge.
  • Skiing (new) - First time in my life. I picked a terrible season to learn (icy slopes from drier than usual weather), but now I can confidently go on green slopes
  • Austin/Vancouver trips (old) - These became routine and rather comforting to visit family and friends
  • Camping/backpacking (new) - Last time I went camping was 5 years ago. Backpacking was a new experience, more difficult than I like but the reward is worth it
  • Hiking (old) - While nature still amazes me each time I go, I'm running out of doable and new trails
  • Professional conference (new) - Traveled to Boston for a conference. I found myself wanting more out of my career for once, but at the same time feeling incredibly lucky to have the comfortable and well-paying job I do now
  • Local events and concerts (old) - ECCC, tea festival, brickcon, urban craft uprisings, and a number of concerts due to minor involvement with Live Music Project. Still fun to go, tho not too much variety
  • SE Asia (new) - Took a big trip in November to Cambodia, Laos, and Thailand, then a stopover in Taiwan (I haven't been in 8 years). SE Asia was amazing. I would do it again in a heartbeat, even if it was ridiculously hot

2015 was full of old and new things. Although I set some goals for myself, I really lost track of them along the year... so this year, I'm planning to set a couple general goals for each month so I don't lose track of them. There will be what I call fun and hard goals - fun being a little more measurable since it will involve a game or book or so, hard being like soft skills and social aspects that require mindset adjustments. Hoping eventually I can address my huge photo backlog and other such projects using this method... we'll see.

So for January 2016:
  • Fun goal: finish the Starcraft 2 Legacy of the Void campaign
  • Hard goal: fix my sleep schedule so that I naturally want to go to bed around midnight
2016, here we go!